Sunday 25 December 2016

Valle de Bravo with the Gin Explorer: Part 1.


Note: The FlyinOrange has moved to: flyinorange.blog

Another holiday season, another studio shutdown.

One of the many perks of working in the Vancouver games industry is the accepted norm of a week off with pay during the week between Christmas and New Years.

In the past I would simply kill the week with some side project and time spent with the extended family. But this year is different. My promotion to lead a TechArt team as a CG Supervisor came with an implicit understanding that free time is going to be a scare commodity come summer. In other words, I need to make the most of the flying opportunities while I can.

But with the break overlapping the Christmas season, tour and course options are limited. Luckily a week long search provided some fruit: a Valle de Bravo based XC Course being put on within the APPI licensing system by ParaglidingMexico under the instruction of Marko Hrgetic (Dec 26 to 30 inclusive).

Everything was packed and ready to go this past Friday morning when an email from the Canadian Gin Distributor, Brett Hazlett, appeared in my inbox stating that my recently ordered Gin Explorer had arrived. The initial plan was to take my steadfast Gin Carrera Plus (it is an absolutely remarkable wing and I am still surprised it has not gained more of a following in our region - especially given the rave reviews from Ziad @ DustOfTheUniverse) and I was still debating such when I picked up the Explorer from Brett.

Brett's response, "When I have a new wing and I am about to embark on a trip, the only question in my mind is window or aisle seat."

Point well taken, sir.

So here I sit in the Maple Leaf lounge in YVR with the Gin Explorer paraglider + Skywalk Range Air harness as checked baggage. Memories of picking up the Ozone Delta 2 on a Tuesday in June 2013 to then board a plane 2 days later for a SIV course under Jocky is not far from my mind. Looking back it was one of the best decisions I ever made flying wise and I hope the same holds true for this trip.

Today: YVR.
Tomorrow : El Penon launch, Valle de Bravo.


A rather barren Maple Leaf lounge. The benefit of Christmas Day travel.


Our ride waits.

In the distance, a TRex stalks passengers.

No comments:

Post a Comment